Friday, August 7, 2009

Ben is Awesome!

Ben and David have been in chess camp all week and have been absolutely loving it! They like chess but I was nervous that they wouldn't be overly excited about doing it for the whole week even though it is just 3 hours a day. However, I have been pleasantly surprised at their response every day when I ask "how was camp?" They respond everytime, "It was so awesome!" or something similar that response.

I was a little worried yesterday afternoon because Ben started to feel a bit yucky and didn't want to go ice skating as we had planned to do. Then, at about 1:00 a.m. he woke up with a terrible cough. Fortunately, he woke up feeling great and when I asked him how he was doing he said, "Mommy, I'm fine. I can beat leukemia so I think I can beat that little thing!" He is so awesome!

2 comments:

Jill Fennema said...

Hello from Minnesota. Over the past few days, I have read your blog from beginning to end. Thanks so much for your continued postings throughout your journey!

My husband and I have two sons with leukemia. They were both diagnosed in August of 2007. Micah is 7 now and Seth is 6. We do not have a blog, but we have a caringbridge website. It is www.caringbridge.org/visit/sethfennema

We get discouraged sometimes...but our fight has been so much like yours it is uncanny --with the exception of going through it with two boys. We are coming up on our two year anniversary on August 21 and 28. And you live in LA and we live in a tiny town of 1000 people. :-)

Incidentally, our boys get these coughs a lot, too. Makes me wonder if it is not a side effect of one of their medications.

Reading your site makes me wish that I had started a blog back then. I was not nearly as faithful as you in keeping track of all the progress.

But it is PROGRESS. All our boys are doing well and having fun with their friends and playing sports. We really can be so thankful for all the research that has been done, for all the work of the Children's Oncology Group. But mostly, we should all thank God for giving us these wonderful gifts called children!

Take care,

Jill

Nicole said...

Thank you so much Jill!
I can't even imagine having two going through it at the same time. My heart goes out to you...but I cannot agree with you more about these amazing gifts called children. They are such a miracle and they bring a smile to my face everyday.
We wish you all the best and my prayers go out to you. Hang in there and keep the faith. Our boys will beat this horrible disease!
Nicole